The Injury Prevention Department is committed to the residents of Columbiana County by preventing unintentional injuries and enhancing the safety of individuals, families and communities.
CAR SEAT PROGRAM
The car seat program operates through funding from Ohio Buckles Buckeyes, fundraising and donations. Car seat education classes, distribution and installations are services provided through the Columbiana County Health Dept.
The Columbiana County Health Department partners with the Ohio Buckles Buckeye (OBB) program to provide car seats to children who are WIC income eligible at no cost. The OBB site provides convertible car seats and booster seats. The families must provide income verification and attend a 45-minute informational class. Car seat checks are also provided by the car seat technicians for families with no income requirement free of charge.
CRIBS FOR KIDS PROGRAM
- The Columbiana County Health Department began the Cribs for Kids Program in December, 2017. Funding is provided by the Columbiana County Department of Job and Family Services.
- Columbiana County Health Department (CCHD) distributes Pack-N-Plays after parents view a video on safe sleep.
- Included with each Pack-N-Play is a Halo Sleep Sack and approved pacifier.
- Pack-N-Plays are distributed to WIC eligible families who are in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy or have a child under the age of 2 years weighing less than 30 pounds who do not have a safe place for the baby to sleep.
- CCHD gets referrals for families from WIC, Help Me Grow, Columbiana County Department of Job and Family Services, and self-referrals.
Cribs For Kids Flyer (PDF)
CDC Safe Sleep (PDF)
CHILD FATALITY REVIEW
In July 2000 Governor Taft required each county in Ohio create a Child Fatality Review Board. The purpose of the Review Board is to decrease the incidence of preventable child deaths aged 18 and under by recommending and developing plans and implementing local services and program changes that might prevent future deaths of our children.
For more information on any of these services, please contact us at 330-424-0272.
www.safekids.org – We educate families, provide safety devices to families in need, and advocate for better laws to help keep children safe, healthy and out of the emergency room.
www.nhtsa.gov – Dedicated to motor vehicle and highway safety, NHTSA works daily to prevent crashes. The agency strives to exceed its core values of Integrity, Service and Leadership.
www.aap.org – The official web site of the American Academy of Pediatrics, an organization of 60,000 pediatricians committed to the attainment of optimal physical, mental, social health and well being for infants, children, adolescents and young adults.
www.cpsafety.com – CPSafety is dedicated to safely transporting children. The information provided by CPSafely is thoroughly researched and documented to provide accurate, up-to-date facts.